When I was testing out the recipe for these little gems, I decided to take them to my monthly Book Club meeting. Thanks to the ladies of Reading Between the Wines, I only returned home with two sausage balls. They were a serious hit - perfect for the Super Bowl party you're planning or your next potluck style meal.
The best thing about this simple appetizer? They are just as good once they are reheated. I love to make these hearty, cheese sausage balls the night before I plan to take them to a gathering, then reheat them in the oven at 350°F for 5 or 10 minutes.
Pro Tip - If you plan to reheat your sausage balls in the oven, under-cook them by 1 or 2 minutes. That way, the have a nice fresh golden brown top when served.
These little guys are also an awesome make-ahead breakfast item for busy weekday mornings! Store them in the fridge for up to 4 days and reheat in the microwave once you get to work. YUM.
Prep Time = 5 minutes / Cook Time = 30 minutes / Total Time = 35 minutes
- 1 pound sausage
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (8 ounces) cream cheese
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until well combined.
- Using a spoon, separate mixture into medium sized balls and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the tops begin to turn golden brown.
*This recipe makes around 24 sausage balls, depending on the size of the scoop used when forming the balls.
Love this recipe? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!