Dutch Oven Creamy Chicken Lasagna Soup
Oh. My. Great. Goodness, guys. It is so cold in Tennessee this week! We got our first little bit of snow last night, and it made me so happy! I am such a cold weather person. I swear, when it snows overnight, I can smell it when I wake up in the morning. The light dusting of snow on the awning of my apartment this morning made me smile from ear-to-ear. So great.
Currently, I am all cozied up in my bed, watching so much New Girl and being in the most extreme soup mood. I really didn't turn into a soup person until this year, but now, I can't get enough warm and wonderful soup in my belly. This creamy chicken lasagna soup is the perfect thing for the coldest of nights. It's hearty, satisfying, and can all be made using the powers of one dutch oven.
*Spoons mouthful of tasty soup into mouth. Smiles.*
Do you have a soup recipe you love? What is it? Tell me all about it in the comments below!
Prep Time = 20 minutes / Cook Time = 50 minutes / Total Time = 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings = 10
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup flour
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 15 oz. cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles broken into squares
- 1 1/4 cups half and half
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- ricotta cheese for serving
- Heat 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Toss in chopped chicken and cook until almost cooked through. Remove the chicken from the dutch oven, and place aside.
- Heat butter and remaining olive oil in the now empty dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally. Around 6 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add carrots to pot and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in flour slowly, while constantly stirring, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and gradually stir in 7 cups chicken broth. In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 cup chicken broth with 3 tablespoons corn starch. Add to dutch oven along with the bouillon cube.
- Stir in chicken, beans and all remaining herbs and spices.
- Add lasagna noodles and stir.
- Turn heat to high, and bring to a boil. After soup reaches a boil, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaves and stir in half and half and whole milk. Cook an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in parmesan cheese until melted.
- Serve each bowl with a scoop of ricotta cheese.