Dad's Classic Old Fashioned
If my father is behind the bar at a party or family dinner you will likely find him smiling while muddling a bit of cherry and orange together in a glass. He is always the bartender - whipping up cosmopolitans, Bloody Mary's, or espresso martinis for friends, but nothing does he make with quite as much excitement as he does an Old Fashioned.
This simple recipe for a classic cocktail comes straight from him - lovingly taste tested until he knows the best whiskey for the job and just the right shake of the bitters bottle to create a delightfully strong, practically perfect Old Fashioned.
Prep Time = less than 5 minutes / Active Time = 5 minutes / Yield = 1 cocktail
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 orange slice, peel removed
- 2 maraschino cherries, stems removed
- Angostura Aromatic bitters
- Templeton Dry Rye Whiskey
- orange wedge and additional cherries for garnish
- In a lowball glass, muddle together simple syrup, peeled orange slice, and cherries.
- Top with ice, and add three shakes of bitters.
- Fill the rest of the glass with dry rye whiskey, and top with additional whole cherries. (The whiskey-soaked cherries are the best part!).
- Garnish with an orange slice and enjoy.