Kielbasa Pasta with Mushrooms and Homemade Marinara Sauce
During the week, there is no better feeling than leaving work and knowing dinner is already taken care of. It seriously relieves a very unnecessary element of stress from my life when I am able to roll away from my desk without trying to think of what I need to pick up from the store on the way home. Better yet - preparing a meal ahead of time prevents me from having to make a store run after work. Hello, an extra hour of my life! It's nice to see you again.
This sauce gets even better when it's been sitting in the fridge overnight. All the flavors really marinate and blend. Not to say it isn't great straight from the pot - it totally is! Just to say this is the perfect meal to make ahead of time in a large batch. Hello, relaxation.
I like to keep this sauce as low sodium as possible, but feel free to season it to your liking. I always buy crushed tomatoes with "no salt added," because I want to be able to determine how much sodium is in my sauce.
Does salt make anyone else's hands and feet swell when you eat too much? Yeish. Got to prevent that from happened.
I also prefer to use a turkey kielbasa with a natural casing, but this sauce is tasty no matter the type of kielbasa you choose to use.
Prep Time = 10 minutes / Cook Time = 1 hour / Total Time = 1 hour 10 minutes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 an onion, diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1 kielbasa sausage, sliced, quartered
- 1 28-ounce can organic crushed tomatoes (no salt added)
- 1 box of pasta noodles, cooked accordingly
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- In a large pot or Dutch Oven over medium-low heat add olive oil, butter, garlic, and diced onion. Stir, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and add sliced mushrooms, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium and add kielbasa. Stir, cover, and allow meat to cook through, about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove lid and allow to cook for 2 additional minutes while stirring constantly.
- Add crushed tomatoes and stir well. Add additional seasonings to taste. Reduce heat to low, cover, and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cook pasta noodles according to box instructions.
- Serve sauce over pasta and top with parmesan.
I hope you all love this recipe! Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!