During the week, when I get home from work, I need meals that are made out of the stuff I always have in my fridge or pantry. For me, that "stuff" is usually a couple of avocados, some lemons, and several half-empty boxes of pasta. Seriously, my pantry is mostly pasta. Isn't yours?
Anyway, this meal is fresh, delicious, simple, and I can throw it together almost any night of the week without much preparation or a big time commitment. When it comes to work night meals, this one is a staple for me and I'm sure it will become one for you too.
The best part? This sauce is the perfect base for pretty much anything else you have in your fridge that needs to be eaten. I love adding extra tomatoes, cooking a little shrimp, or even using leftover smoked salmon to take this meal to the next level - but, if you don't have anything extra to throw in, don't worry. This dish is delicious all by itself.
Creamy Avocado and Lemon Pasta
Prep Time = 5 minutes / Cook Time = 10 minutes / Total Time = 15 minutes
- 6 ounces linguini noodles
- 1 whole ripe avocado
- 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- dried basil
- sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Cook linguini noodles according to the box in a pot of generously salted water.
- As the noodles are cooking, slice the avocado, remove the pit and skin and place in a medium bowl.
- To the bowl add fresh lemon juice and olive oil. Using a fork, mash the avocado combining the avocado with the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Once the mixture is combined, begin adding basil, salt, and pepper to taste.
- After the mixture seasoned to your preference, drain the warm noodles and toss them in the bowl with the sauce.
- Serve warm with parmesan.
NOTE: If you don't have linguini noodles, no worries! This sauce is tasty no matter the noodles you toss it with. Linguini is simply my favorite match for this sauce (and I always have some on hand), but feel free to use anything you like!
Love this saucy meal? Let me know in the comments below!